Lehman Art Center
Thank you for your interest in the gallery at Brooks School. Attached to the Henry Luce III Library, the Robert Lehman Art Center opened in 1995.
The 2,300-square-foot gallery hosts a number of exhibits annually.
Financial support for the art center came from the Robert Lehman Foundation, with special encouragement from Robin Lehman ’55, a well-known artist and filmmaker.
Feel free to reach out to Babs Wheelden, Director of the Robert Lehman Art Gallery, directly at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Monday through Friday, 10 - 8 p.m.
Saturday, 9 - 12 p.m.
(Closed during school vacations)
Calendar of 2022-2023 Exhibitions
- "Swimming Holes and Summer Fields: A Love Story," exhibit of paintings by Julia Powell
Sept. 1 - Oct. 2, with an artists reception Sept. 16 at 6 p.m. SEE PHOTOS
- "Arts In Progress: Choices, Regrets, Relationships and Forgiveness," an exhibition of student works from fall 2022
Oct. 7 - Nov. 18
- "Watercolors of New England," paintings by Racket Shreve ‘68
Nov. 25 - Jan. 1
- "Italian Art and Culture," a painting exhibition of, and with, works by Winter Term visiting artist Nella Lush P‘95
Jan. 4 - Jan. 30
- William “Bill” Ferris ‘60 VOICES OF MISSISSIPPI: ARTISTS AND MUSICIANS, Give My Poor Heart Ease and The South in Color, a photography exhibition from the Lehman Art Center permanent collection to honor Black History Month.
William Ferris is the Joel R. Williamson Eminent Professor of History Emeritus, University of North Carolina, including Images from: I Am A Man: Civil Rights Photographs in the American South, 1960–1970
Feb. 1 - March 15
- "HOPE: Faculty and friends of the Robert Lehman Art Center Gallery," an exhibition of works by faculty, staff, parents/family members, alumni responding to the theme of hope.
March 30 - May 1
- Advanced Students’ Sustained Investigations and Creative Collective
May 5 - June 2
*Closed for renovations
June - Aug.
Twenty-five Advanced Placement and Advanced Open Studio Art students are exhibiting their works in this new exhibit on display in the Lehman Art Center gallery April 29 through June 3.
All are welcome to the artists' reception in the gallery on April 29 from 6 to 8 p.m.
Four Perspectives, For Perspective, For Us
A collaborative show of works from four members of the Brooks School Arts Faculty: Lynn McLoughlin, ceramic works, Max Nagel, photography, Sonja Nagel, watercolor paintings, Babs Wheelden mixed media, together in the Lehman Gallery from March 25 through April 25.
Each of the teaching artists will feature a collection of recent work, sharing their unique perspectives in an effort to reconnect, reunite and share collectively the power of making and observing art.
“Volaverunt,” which translates to something that is missing, has left or just flown away, is the name of Peruvian artist Paola Denegri's exhibit of Japanese paper art, created during a COVID-related lockdown in Lima.
The exhibit was on display in the gallery February 18 - March 5, 2022.
"Canceled Edition: Ivory-Billed Woodpecker," featuring a simulated species extinction by 2022 Winter Term visiting artist Pippin Frisbie-Calder, was in the gallery from January 3 through February 14. READ ABOUT HER VISIT.
Students in the "Environmental Artivism" Winter Term course made their own endangered species print for the gallery for Brooks School's Winter Term Symposium on January 21. Click to see photos of the Winter Term class working with Frisbie-Calder.
- "Surviving a Pandemic with Creativity," featuring glass works and cartoons from the collection of Robin Lehman '55. November 29 - January 2 SEE PHOTOS
- Arts in Progress: Identity, Truth and Wonder
October 20 - November 20 SEE PHOTOS
- Show of Hands: Henry M. Buhl '48 Collection
September 3 - October 15 READ MORE & SEE PHOTOS
- Advanced Artists and Creatives Exhibition
May 20 - June 6: with "An Evening of the Arts" on May 28, featuring live music ensembles from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Student Arts Exhibition 2020-2021
May 5 - 19. SEE PHOTOS
- Academic Building "Planning for Future Learning Spaces"
April 19 - 23: A display of architectural drawings of the renovation and expansion of Brooks Academic Building and Library
Featuring the work of Brooks School faculty, staff and friends, the "Brooks Faculty Show" was on display March 1 - 18, 2020
with an artist's reception on March 7 from 6-8 p.m.
- MeadEaglePhotos, "Environments, Cultures and Wildlife at Risk," in September: READ MORE.
- Student Art Show, mixed media work from our Center for the Arts, in October.
- 200 Women: Who Will Change the Way You See the World exhibition, in November: READ MORE
- Laura Nichols GP'18, GP'20, GP'22, ceramicist and Winter Term visiting artist, in January: SEE PHOTOS
- Jim Sperber '87, painting, in February: READ MORE.
- Brooks Faculty Show, in March.