Students on the Forefront
For years, Students on the Forefront has provided Brooks students with internship opportunities in research laboratories, hospitals and hubs of engineering and technological innovation. The program opens doors for students to gain professional insights and experiences in areas of intellectual curiosity or passion. It is our strong belief that a hands-on research opportunity in a lab or field setting will best encourage students to pursue their interests further.
In 2024, Brooks will be expanding the Students on the Forefront program to include other professional fields across arts, business and finance, computer science, and humanities!
My internship allowed me to look beyond the classroom and experience what it is like to be in the field professionally. They don't teach you how tiring it is to be in surgery for 10+ hours at a time, or how long and how much precision it takes to develop a single microscope slide in school!
Isabella O'Shea '18 on interning at Massachusetts General Hospital
Recipients, selected through a competitive application process, will participate in this summer undertaking provided by the program. Students must be willing to commit to the programs for their entire length and recognize the serious obligations involved in such an undertaking.
The opportunities for 2023 were impressive and met the same high expectation that has been set in the past:
- Clinical rotations in cardiology and general surgery at Lawrence General Hospital (LGH)
- Surgical clinical rotation, Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH)
- Amyloidoisis laboratory research, Boston Medical Center (BMC)
- Orthopedic medicine rotation, Tufts Medical Center (TMC)
- Internship in communications and science writing, Quebec Labrador Foundation, Ipswich, MA (QLF)
- Psychiatric neuroimaging laboratory of Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH)
- Engineering technology camp, Cupertino California (Apple)
- Medical device development and testing, Globus Medical
- Field-based research and community engagement, Coastal Restoration and Climate Resilience Lab
For students who do not live in the Boston or North Shore (MA) area, Brooks School arranged for housing through Harvard Summer School (HSS). Students took one class in addition to completing their internship; they received college credit for that class. Students apply to the HSS program as soon as they receive their Students on the Forefront placement, and then register for classes in the spring.
I've been asked if I'm in med. school about six times. It's fun to respond with, 'Nope, I'm actually in high school.'
2018 intern Charlotte Marks '19
For questions about the Students on the Forefront program, contact Associate Head of School for Academic Affairs Susanna Waters.