Maru-a-Pula School in Botswana
Maru-a-Pula is a co-educational boarding and day school located in the capital, Gaborone. It was founded in 1972 to "serve as a model of non-racial education in Southern Africa." Today, the school enrolls a cosmopolitan population of more than 600 students: 63 percent (398) are Botswanan, more than a third of whom receive financial aid; the remaining 37 percent (237) are expatriates from 37 different countries. The school prides itself upon its student-centered, holistic education program that, for example, sees community service not as an extracurricular program, but as integral to each student’s education. It offers a demanding program that prepares many of its graduates for British A-level exams and prepares some to attend university in the United States.
"My experience with exchange has been extremely eye opening. Coming to Botswana I had to adjust to a new culture, African time, and a new school. Everyone has been so warm and welcoming! I learned that living a simpler life can often lead to greater happiness and seeing the way Botswana has developed and is continuing to be a success story in Africa has reaffirmed my hope to go into the Peace Corps after college. Seeing how hard the students at Maru-a-Pula work in order to go to the U.S. or Europe for college made me realize how lucky I am to be receiving such an outstanding education and the opportunity to go to college. I hope to come back to Botswana one day and help it to continue to develop and grow."

Participants 2 students
Dates of Travel End of February/Early March, for five weeks

"Botswana gave me the opportunity to see life from a different perspective. I was able to spend time with orphans in urban areas and I met some incredible friends. Botswana is definitely a place unlike any other."

The Brooks School Exchange Program, founded in 1986, promotes the global education of students from Brooks and its partner schools in Botswana, Hungary, Scotland, Spain, France and Peru. By living abroad as residents in other school communities, our students are challenged to extend themselves to another place, another culture, another people – and, most importantly, to be affected by them, to be changed by them. We are confident that experiencing this transformative process of enculturation makes our students more empathetic and engaged global citizens.