Kicking off the celebration of Commencement Weekend, Brooks School recognized the achievements of students in afternoon activities in the Frank D. Ashburn Chapel on Friday morning.
"Spring is always a quick season, and this one was more challenging than most because of many weather-related postponements and game cancellations," said Director of Athletics Bobbie Crump-Burbank P'11. "But the resiliency of our students in being able to stay positive and ready to compete when the opportunity came was just great!"
Crump-Burbank praised both the season's team and individual performances, as well as the coaches. "They really kept students engaged and motivated," she said.
There's a team for everyone at Brooks, click here to learn more.
The fact that sixth-formers will be leaving campus for good in just three days made honoring their successes this season all the more poignant. "The teams each had strong leadership on the fields this spring," added Crump-Burbank. "They were a great example to the other athletes. We'll miss them!"
Visit Brooks School's Athletics page to view information about each of our 45 teams.
League meetings take place early next week so these awards did not reflect all-league honors, but there were still plenty of Brooks School recognitions. Read on for the full list:
Best Teammate Awards
- Afternoon music: Stella Si '19
- Community service: Ishaan George '18
- Dance: Jacob Iwowo '18
- 2nd boys baseball: Isaac Eberly '20
- 2nd boys crew: Matthew Schelzi '18
- 2nd girls crew: Lucy Verdone '19
- 2nd golf: Riker Ferry '21
- 2nd boys lacrosse: Jason Silverman '21
- 2nd girls lacrosse: Max Chaban, Manager '19
- 2nd boys tennis: Joel Moya '20
- 2nd girls tennis: Sally Jong '18
1st team Brooks School awards:
- Softball — Coaches Award: Caroline Kukas '19
- Baseball — Allen Ashburn Bowl: Connor Breen '18 and Francis Jackson Bowl: Connor Breen '18
- Boys Crew — Howard T. "Ox" Kingsbury Award: Jameson Lehrer '18
- Girls Crew — Katherine V. Liddle Award: Annie Edwards '21 and Courtney Crew Prize: Clare Naughton '18
- Boys Lacrosse — Robert C. Best Award: Jason Gold '18 and Sportsmanship Award: Michael Hughes '19
- Girls Lacrosse — Merit Award: Katherine Delaney '18
- Boys Tennis — Baird E. Haney Award: Will Barry '18
- Girls Tennis — Coaches Award: Abby Zerbey '19
OTHER RECENT STORIES
What Would You Say to Your Younger Self?
Brooks' bulletin board tradition gives graduating students a way to share advice — and be remembered long after they leave campus.
Alum Advice on 'One of the Most Important Things You Can Do In Life'
Comedian Rachael Burke '10 had students laughing, and learning, during her speech at the class of 2018's induction dinner.
Our Flag Flies at Govs!
Brooks' colors waved high above our rival's campus on Thursday, when we celebrated the win over The Governor's Academy in our schools' third-annual Giving Day competition.