|The Henry Luce III Library provides a research and study area for students in a modern three-story structure. The library is fully automated and networked and offers access to the Internet. And it provides a setting where students are encouraged to develop the skills needed to locate, analyze, evaluate, interpret and communicate information and ideas in an information-rich world.|
The 15,000-square-foot building accommodates 145 users and houses a collection of 36,000 items chosen to bolster the Brooks academic and cultural programs. It also houses the Kingsbury Computer Lab; the Luce Mac room on the main floor and the Luce PC lab on the lower level. Both labs offer 16 workstations, as well as teacher computers, printing and projection displays.
The Luce Library features special spaces for independent and group study, as well as leisure reading, music appreciation, video viewing, seminar presentations and tutorials. And while library instruction takes place in conjunction with class assignments, students are also given one-to-one assistance by the library staff in accessing, evaluating, interpreting and citing research sources.
The library's holdings are accessed through an integrated web-based platform that provides entry into specialty electronic databases containing full-text versions of hundreds of periodical titles. The library collection is systematically developed to support curricular research as well as to provide reference and recreational materials for intellectual inquiry and growth. Additionally, the library participates in an inter-library loan program, which allows students to borrow materials from area libraries.
Originating as a single room in the Old Whitney House in 1927, the school library has always been an integral part of the Brooks community. Relocated to a wood paneled room in Gardner House in 1930, the school library maintained its status as a center for intellectual pursuits. Expanding to fill three additional rooms in 1949, the Brooks library was formally dedicated to the memory of De Forest Van Slyck, Jr., a Brooks graduate who was lost in action during World War II.
In 1965, the library moved from its Gardner House location into a new building, the Goelet Library, designed to accommodate a collection of 15,000 books and to serve 200 students. As the collection enlarged and information technology became critical to scholarship, the Henry Luce III Library was constructed to function as the major resource for the Brooks School community's learning and teaching needs. Named after Henry Luce III '42, the distinctive tri-level structure was designed by the Boston architectural firm of Amsler Woodhouse MacLean and dedicated in May 1995.