|Brooks School provides a co-educational, college preparatory program for roughly 370 students on a 242-acre campus overlooking Lake Cochichewick. |
Small classes allow students to work closely with teachers, fostering a relationship that is at the core of the warm, close-knit community. With a challenging academic curriculum that includes 17 advanced placement courses, Brooks also offers opportunities to study abroad in Africa, Europe and South America. A unique summer science program places fifth-formers in labs at Massachusetts General Hospital and Tufts Medical Center, as well as in the wilds of Tanzania and on the coast of Canada in Labrador. On the stage and in the gallery, visual and performing arts are an integral part of school life, while on the athletic fields, numerous teams have won New England or league championships in recent years.
The average faculty tenure of approximately 10 years reflects an atmosphere and culture that recognizes the importance of exceptional teachers. Brooks is a great place to work.
|Nondiscrimination Policy |
Brooks School does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, color, sexual orientation, disability or religion in the administration of its educational policies, admission policies, employment policies, financial aid and loan programs, athletic programs and other school administered programs and activities.
|Director of Publications|
Brooks School seeks an experienced communications professional with exceptional writing skills and a background in print production. This full-time, 12-month position reports to the director of communications and marketing. Responsibilities include: writing, editing and tracking content for the Brooks Bulletin; working with the advancement office on the annual report, invitations, solicitations and special mailings; offering expertise and advice to the admission office in the scheduling and delivery of the viewbook and other marketing materials; and overseeing the development of the student handbook, course catalog and community directory. In addition to writing and editing demands, this job requires some familiarity with digital photography. Preferred technical skills include facility with QuarkXPress, Photoshop, Word and Excel.
To apply for this position, please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and three writing samples to:
Brooks School is searching for an experienced Controller to manage the accounting staff and to be responsible for the oversight and integrity of all accounting policies, procedures, operations, reporting, analysis and auditing. As a strategic partner to the CFO, the Controller must be able to provide leadership in identifying and implementing best practices for all accounting and financial functions while promoting a service-oriented and collegial environment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND KEY OBJECTIVES
- Participate fully as a member of the Finance and Operations team with an emphasis on effective communication and collaboration in support of a culture of accuracy, productivity and continuous improvement
- Oversee the School’s internal control structure related to the policies, procedures and documentation of all accounting and financial reporting activities; exercise prudent financial judgment
- Manage the staff with the goal of improving the quality of work in the office; provide training, direction, motivation, and opportunities for skills development
- Prepare timely and accurate monthly financial statements ensuring that the School complies with all applicable accounting procedures and standards in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the Financial Accounting Services Board (FASB)
- Perform financial analysis and documentation in support of the financial statements, annual budgets and strategic financial planning
- Work to maximize department utilization of the Senior Systems accounting system
- Plan, facilitate, and coordinate the annual independent financial audit and the 403(b) audit
- Work collaboratively and effectively with all members of the School community to improve accounting practices and procedures throughout the School’s operations
- Prepare responses to surveys and all required government reports
- Other tasks and duties, as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance; with advanced degree or CPA with audit experience preferred.
- A minimum of seven years relevant experience in progressively responsible positions within a not-for-profit accounting environment, preferably in private education; three of those years in a supervisory role.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability identifying and implementing “best practices” for financial and administrative management
- Advanced computer skills and thorough knowledge of software applications, in particular Microsoft Excel (e.g. pivot tables, what-if analysis within worksheet and workbooks, macros), Word, Access, and Outlook as well as payroll and accounting software applications such as ADP and Senior Systems
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of endowment accounting
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to effectively communicate complex financial or accounting information to non-accountants
- Excellent analytical, strategic, mathematical and quantitative skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong organizational skills, ability to establish and manage multiple priorities, and ability to work under pressure while maintaining the highest professional standards
- Ability to manage, motivate and evaluate staff; team-building and change management experience preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, parents and other constituents with fairness, respect, consistency and integrity
- Ability to develop proposals, RFPs, presentation materials and other written materials
- Creative ability, a positive outlook, an excellent work ethic and a sense of humor
- Demonstrated ability to embrace and share the school’s mission
- Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends as necessary
- Must be able to travel across campus as needed
- Must be able to sit for long periods at a desk working on the computer
For more information about Brooks School, please visit www.brooksschool.org/about/employment.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.